I was at dinner tonight with my mom and Jonathan. Patrick was up at the cottage "opening it up," so he won't be home until later. We ran into one of my childhood neighbors and she inquired about what I am up to in my adult life. I told her that I teach at a charter school and she asked, "Do you see much difference between teaching there versus teaching at a traditional public school?"
At first I didn't understand what she was asking, aren't we all in it to educate children??? Then I thought about it more and I thought about something I saw today, and I thought about how my school is changing so fast and I was so thankful. There are days when I want to pull out all of my hair, but if I step away and look at how we are so successfully changing students' lives even in the midst of all the drama in middle school, I am thankful.
The heartbreak that some of these kids experience is unreal, I can't even begin to understand the raw pain that they have faced in their most tender years. If I wasn't where I am and if the amazing people that I work with weren't there either, where would these kids be? I am so thankful that parents have a choice, and they choose my school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment